What is the best underwear to wear when pregnant? Do you need special underwear like maternity briefs or can you use regular panties?
Although you can continue wearing the same underwear you always have and simply size up, chances are they won’t fit right. They’ll need to stretch to cover the bump or you might end up rolling them down to fit underneath. Either way isn’t very comfortable especially since they may start to dig into the skin or give you wedgies.
The best underwear for pregnancy is designed especially for a growing belly whether it fits over top or underneath. Moms-to-be will appreciate a better-fitting waistband and soft fabric against sensitive skin. What’s more, pregnancy underwear is made to be worn in the postpartum period as well.
Most expectant mothers start shopping for maternity underwear after the first trimester when the bump begins to show. Even if you start with above-the-bump panties, there’s no reason why you can’t switch to mid-bump or below-the-bump undies later in the pregnancy. The weather and your outer clothing may also influence your choice.
Happily, pregnancy underwear comes in many different styles including traditional panties, briefs, boy shorts, bikinis, and thongs. Check out the best underwear for pregnant women below:
|The best underwear for pregnancy||Why we love them|
|Motherhood Maternity Fold-Over Maternity Panties||
|Intimate Portal Maternity Underwear||
|Kindred Bravely Bamboo Maternity Hipster Panties||
|Seraphine No VPL Over Bump Maternity Panties||
|Annette Soft and Seamless Full Coverage Pregnancy Boyshort||
|Lupantte Maternity Underwear Over Bump Pregnancy Panties||
|Playtex Women's Maternity Fold Down Modern Brief Panties||
|FridaBaby Frida Mom Disposable Postpartum Underwear||
- 1 How to make sure you get the best pregnancy underwear
- 2 Best Underwear for Pregnancy in 2023
- 2.1 Motherhood Maternity Fold-Over Maternity Panties
- 2.2 Intimate Portal Maternity Underwear
- 2.3 Kindred Bravely Bamboo Maternity Hipster Panties
- 2.4 Seraphine No VPL Over Bump Maternity Panties
- 2.5 Annette Soft and Seamless Full Coverage Pregnancy Boyshort
- 2.6 Lupantte Maternity Underwear Over Bump Pregnancy Panties
- 2.7 Playtex Women’s Maternity Fold Down Modern Brief Panties
- 2.8 FridaBaby Frida Mom Disposable Postpartum Underwear
- 3 Conclusion
How to make sure you get the best pregnancy underwear
When you shop for maternity underwear, you need to know your size. Maternity sizes are the same, so if you wore a medium before you began to show, you can choose a medium in pregnancy underwear. Still, there’s no harm in taking your measurements. Be sure to wrap the tape around your natural waist and your hips to check against the size chart.
Next, you might not know whether you want over-the-bump or under-the-bump undies and that’s okay. There’s nothing wrong with getting a pair of each and experimenting. You might even decide that what felt comfortable early on in the pregnancy has changed and you need a different style.
Lastly, check the care instructions. Machine-washable underwear is convenient but the ones you can toss in the dryer are even more suitable if you’re tired, sick, or in a hurry.
There are plenty of options to choose from below.
Best Underwear for Pregnancy in 2023
Motherhood Maternity Fold-Over Maternity Panties
If you can’t make up your mind, why not have it both ways? Here’s maternity underwear that goes over the belly or under the bump. The fold-over elastic waistband either supports the bump or stays out of the way.
The full-coverage underwear fits like briefs or traditional panties. The fabric is 95% cotton to keep you cool and 5% spandex for plenty of stretch at the waistband and leg openings. Of course, they are machine-washable and super soft to the touch.
What’s more, there are several colors and patterns available in a wide range of sizes including plus sizes. Reviewers say they are true to size (as you probably know, you can choose the same maternity size as you wore before).
- Versatile full-coverage underwear briefs
- 95% cotton, 5% spandex that’s soft, breathable, and lightweight with plenty of stretchiness
- Available in a wide range of sizes, colors, and patterns
- It looks like plus sizes might cost slightly more
Intimate Portal Maternity Underwear
We highly recommend cotton maternity underwear because it doesn’t feel itchy and doesn’t get as hot and sweaty as synthetic fabric. It’s also machine-washable. It just so happens that the fabric here is even tested to be free of harmful chemicals and made from eco-friendly material.
These are lacey low-rise boy cut briefs that cradle the baby bump. What’s nice is that they don’t roll down or up and they don’t pinch, either. The leg openings are nice and wide and the bottom provides good coverage but it’s not baggy. The panties are also virtually invisible underneath clothing.
The light-colored crotch lining is 100% cotton – it makes it easy to see discharges. They come 6 to a pack and seem to hold up well. Lots of reviewers wear them while they’re nursing and beyond especially since the low-rise style doesn’t rub a C-section scar.
- Lacey low-rise panties cradle the baby bump without rolling up or down
- Eco-friendly fabric is laboratory-tested to be chemical-free (95% cotton, 5% spandex)
- Machine-washable and dryable
- Suitable for recovery after a C-section, too
- No complaints
Kindred Bravely Bamboo Maternity Hipster Panties
Once you go bamboo, you’ll never want to go back. It is the absolute softest and most breathable fabric we’ve ever worn. That’s why it’s a perfect choice for these full-coverage pregnancy panties.
But bamboo on its own is surprisingly delicate, so it’s usually in a blend with other materials. In this case, the fabric has 22% nylon, 6% spandex, and 100% cotton crotch gusset.
To go along with the soft material, the design has minimal seams and plenty of stretch for a growing belly. The crossover waistband stays put right below the bump without rolling down and the rear has full-coverage so there’s never a wedgie or unexpected exposures. This style is also handy for C-section recovery.
- Impressively soft and stretchy low-rise panties with full coverage for the rear
- Crossover waistband doesn’t roll down
- Bamboo, nylon, spandex fabric is machine-washable
- Can also be worn after a cesarean birth
- Only neutral colors sold in 2-packs
Seraphine No VPL Over Bump Maternity Panties
Here’s the ultimate in no-show maternity underwear. They may be high-waisted undies but they don’t show visible panty lines. How is this magic possible?
The fabric is 80% cotton, 20% nylon for a silky, soft, and snug fit. The trick is that the material is microfiber. It hugs the skin but doesn’t feel tight, itchy, or binding. You might actually forget you’re wearing underwear.
The only downside is the size selection as it ranges from small to extra-large only.
- Perfect when you need pregnancy underwear but don’t want to see it or notice it
- No panty lines; feels like you’re wearing nothing
- 80% cotton, 20% nylon microfiber is silky and soft
- Limited range of sizes
Annette Soft and Seamless Full Coverage Pregnancy Boyshort
High-waisted maternity underwear is one thing and boy shorts are another. This style has a little bit of leg to it and we couldn’t believe how comfortable it feels. (Watch out or you might get in the habit of walking around in just your underwear!)
The seamless fabric is 89% nylon, 11% spandex, and it hugs the body like shapewear. It provides a little extra support for the hips and belly and moves when you do. Plus, it feels extra lightweight and smooth. Somehow, it’s not see-through and it’s even machine-washable.
- Maternity shapewear with support for the hips and belly
- Machine-washable nylon-spandex blend
- Full coverage and not see-through
- Only two colors
Lupantte Maternity Underwear Over Bump Pregnancy Panties
These undies are soft and stretchy and they have a unique benefit. As your belly grows, you can easily adapt the waistband. It’s not just elastic, it’s also adjustable.
The fabric is a blend of viscose, spandex, and polyester so it’s machine-washable. It’s gentle on sensitive skin and breathable. Since the high-rise waist covers the bump, it’s nice to have this kind of material. It would potentially protect a C-section incision, too.
While the crotch lining is 100% white cotton, the underwear is available in several attractive colors in sizes up to 3XL. Most reviewers are pleased with the softness and fit of the software. They say the waistband stays up, although some say that it tends to twist.
- Viscose-spandex-polyester blend that feels extra soft
- Adjustable waistband for a growing belly
- 100% cotton lining in the crotch
- Several colors in sizes up to 3XL
- Be sure to straighten the waistband and it should stay put
Playtex Women’s Maternity Fold Down Modern Brief Panties
These thin, lightweight panties are perfect when it’s hot. The 95% rayon, 5% spandex blend feels stretchy and soft – almost like you’re wearing nothing at all. The best part is that you can pull the waistband over the bump or fold it down underneath.
They are designed for convenience. Not only are they machine-washable, but there are no tags to cut off. They come in packs of 3 pairs in either neutral colors or polka dots.
Reviewers say that there’s no need to size up. Choose your regular size or one smaller as the panties are elastic. They seem to hold up well with repeated washing.
The biggest complaint is that it’s hard to stick panty liners to the fabric because it’s so thin and soft.
- Perfect for hot weather – thin, lightweight, and soft
- Rayon/spandex blend with a cotton crotch is machine-washable
- Waistband pulls up over the bump or folds down underneath
- 3-packs in either neutral shades or polka dots
- Thin fabric makes it hard for panty liners to stick
FridaBaby Frida Mom Disposable Postpartum Underwear
Hospitals offer disposable postpartum underwear that’s helpful when you’re sore and tired and need to keep pads in place while you recover. When you go home, sometimes you don’t have the energy or time to do laundry, so it’s convenient to have disposable underwear. But these aren’t diapers – these are microfiber panties that feel like cotton. They are elastic, soft, and seamless, with a high waist to protect the sensitive C-section area.
Seriously, these full-coverage underpants are super stretchy, supportive, and thicker than the typical hospital fishnet version. Still, you can wear them under yoga pants and no one needs to know.
Happily, they are latex-free and breathable. They come in 2 sizes: the small fits 23 to 34-inch-waists and the large up to 42 inches.
- Supportive and stretchy microfiber underpants feel like cotton
- High waist covers a C-section incision
- Perfect for recovery pads without looking bulky
- Breathable and latex-free
- Sizes up to 42-inch waist
- Disposable, but we wish they weren’t because they are so convenient and comfortable
We hope our reviews of the best underwear for pregnancy helped you find what you need today. It’s never a waste of money if you find comfortable undies that fit your growing waistline.
If you’re pleased with your new underpants, we’d love to hear from you. Please leave us a comment below.